Friday, April 25, 2008

Day 5

I was too tired to write anymore last night so I went to bed early. I actually ended up taking a cup of herbal tea with me and read for awhile. It was nice to be in bed early and just relax with a book for an hour. Hannah was at a sleepover with one of her homeschooling pals which was why my evening ended that early. I thought I would just add a few details to what I did yesterday. I should have prepared the night before and then I would have been able to actually 'drink' earlier than I did. I had to juice 10lbs of carrots, some very large beets, celery and parsley. I know that isn't a mono food but because you are keeping things simple by only drinking juice throughout the day you are able to add more than one veg. My juicer didn't want to juice the parsley and didn't do a very good job on the celery so I just mixed the carrot and the beet. It took me a while to get this finished but once I finally got some juice into me I felt better. It was still a pretty difficult day with more food cravings and some emotional crap being released.

I had originally intended to have apples again on my fifth day but that was definitely out. And although I have enough carrots to juice again I decided to go with vegetable broth for Friday. Since I didn't want to be hungry first thing in the morning I decided to make the soup the night before. So last night after I got Josiah into bed and before Lost, I started the soup. I had enough organic vegetables to make a good soup and then just added lots of spices, seaweed and even some leftover beet juice. Gordon and Natasha were here and they helped me put it all together and it simmered while we watched Lost. It smelled amazing and they taste tested it added more spice and said it was good. When I got up this morning I strained it, added some miso and had my first bowl and let me tell you it is the best soup I have ever made! I will enjoy sipping it throughout the day. I woke this morning feeling great actually. This is a good day, it's the last day of the mono food part of the cleanse and Art comes home today. I am going to play with Josiah now and will report back later.

Later: The broth was delicious but I did feel hungry a lot throughout the day. Today I felt like it was ok to be hungry though. We don't know what it's actually like to go hungry, in fact most of us overeat all the time. I know I eat more than I need to at each meal and learning to stop before I'm full would not be a bad thing. The last two days of actually feeling hunger has been an interesting lesson for me. Why the need to fill out bellies to the point of not being able to eat another thing? I felt very focussed on the fact that I was hungry too. It was like I couldn't think of anything else. It must be horrible to feel worse than that almost everyday of your life.


No comments: