Monday, December 11, 2006

Preparations for Christmas! Well I'm still not ready and it's already December 10th. Art has been away since November 27 and I feel like I have accomplished nothing. I hired a nanny, Thess, who started the day Art left but I feel like I have been so behind in everything that I've just been playing catch up since she started. I had big plans for the coming weeks, it was all about getting ready for Christmas. This time last year we were all ready! Josiah came down with a cold after Art left so I didn't get much done and then that Thursday night he ended up with the stomach flu. His first one, which is so sad because they have no idea what is happening to them. How someone so small can vomit so much is beyond me but by midnight I had two sets of sheets, blankets and pillows piled high in the bathtub and I was trying to balance Josiah and the bowl I was using to catch the vomit in. He threw up until about 2 am and then we managed to get a few hourse sleep before it started all over again. Hannah came down with it next, more sheets in the tub! She also started throwing up around midnight and threw up every 15 minutes for the next 4 or 5 hours. Another sleepless night. Dad was next and then after being surrounded by sick people all weekend by Sunday night Mom and I were both in bed with it. Oh the joys! So needless to say I'm way behind and feeling the stress easing in. I had to make the conscious decision to 'not do this to myself' this year. No way will I stress myself out and then barely enjoy the holidays. The consumerism is contagious especially this time of year and as Hannah prepares her letter to Santa and then remembers things she forgot, I remind her that Christmas is not about the gifts!!! "I know, she says it's about the message of peace." She remembers, bless her heart and she only put three things on her Santa list, so I'm grateful for that. It will be so exciting for Josiah this year, and us as we watch him tear into his presents but I still don't want to get too caught up in that. That is really what the stress is all about. It's gift buying. What do I buy for so and so, I have to get my shopping finished in order to get the parcel in the mail or it won't make it for Christmas. The malls are insane and I have limited my time there, I did most of my shopping online. So I will strive to remain grounded and stay in the present moment as I finish or not finish the preparations for Christmas before Art arrives home. If I'm not done...well, he can finish up for me!

No comments: